Thursday 26 September 2013

DAY FOUR.

MULTIPLICATION, ADDITION, SUBTRACTION, FRACTIONS, AREA, LENGTH, GEOMETRY.
Now, that's sum up my Thursday night.
Problem 13.  Mind reading.  The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the agenda Mind reading- The Mentalist and Patrick Jane.
So here's the steps:
First, combine the two digits.
So, I have the two digits in mind: 

and I put each other side by side,




Second, I have to add the two digits,

2 + 4 = 6

Third, I have to subtract the 6 from 24,

and I get the answer,

18!

The amazing part when listing the number on the board,  all final answer are multiples of 9.
And, when the answer added up with the first digit (tens), it's a whole number:
18 + 2 = 20!

There's always relationships with the numbers! 


Alright here goes the second task:
Pick 2 digits:
3 and 6, 36

Reverse:
63

Subtract:
63 - 36 =  27

There are three methods for this scenario.
First,

63 - 36 = 27
/\                
40 23                 

So I will take 40 - 36 = 4
Then I add 23 + 4 = 27

Second method,
Counting on.

Lastly,
Counting back.


Problem 14.  Fractions, Models

3 1/4 - 1/2 = 13/4 - 2/4 = 11/4 = 2 3/4

This is how I actually calculate my answer at first.  I change the denominator (must have the same nouns)  so I can subtract. 



There's another method:

3 1/4 - 1/2 = 2 3/4
/\                  
1 1/4  2                       
  

Problem 15. Fractions.
 
Sharing is caring, and so we share pizza, with only 3 of us.
And there are 4 pizza.
Please divide equally:




First method, 4 divide 3 = 3 3/3 divide 3
=1 1/3

Second method,
4 divide 3
/       
12 thirds
= 12/ 3  divide 4 = 4/3
which is also, 1 1/3




Problem 16. MULTIPLICATION.

I was taught or perhaps, conditioned to memorize multiplication numbers when I was young.
Tough one, but yeah, it's kind of true, we will never learn to solve or figuring out.   
Thus, children should never be made to memorize multiplications.

1 row, 7 birds
2 rows, 14 birds
3 rows, 21 birds
4 rows, 28 birds
....7th row, ? birds


Now here's the right calculation:

7th row, isn't it 4 rows add with 3 rows which means,
21 + 28 = 49

Same as 7 X 7 = 49


As quoted by MOE;

Mathematics is an excellent vehicle for the development and improvement of a person's intellectual competencies.




Problem 17. Polygons.
Creating shapes with the dots, with only one dot inside the shape.
The picture below is for illustration purposes.



I concluded that, from the lesson of problem 17,
to find the area of the shape is to count how many squares inside the created shape.
Another one, is to count the dots that linked the shapes and divide them into 2, and you will get the area of the shape. Awesome right, especially when you're able to figure out things like this when you're already more than 20 years old and realised you're not taught this way when you're struggling Maths in school back then.

And someone ended the night by telling me, "You can use your shawl to join the dots!"






No comments:

Post a Comment